Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable or remove xp firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatsby1000

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2003
US
I do not want users on my domain to enable the xp firewall. I'm unable to vnc or dameware into their workstation when they need assistance. Is there any way to disable this option to end users?

There is 1 major and free solution: tell them NOT to change ANY settings, that is called IT-policy.
Get it out on paper, stating NO support can be given if they mess with it etc.

Alternatively, you could them all make part of group policies, where you can enable/disable just about anything, but if you want to go that way, and never used it in a Domain, a lot of careful reading is waiting for you.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

From group policy you can find it at

Start > Run > GPEDIT.MSC > OK > Computer Config > Admin Templates > Network > Network Connections > Prohibit Use of Internet Connection Firewall

As soon as SP2 comes out there should be some more settings, take a look at
Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

That is part of what I meant Greg, but if they have a big network, unless it is implemented on the Domain as part of the login, there will be a lot of PC visits.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back