Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable or change FQDN in Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonfen

MIS
Aug 21, 2000
US
Is there a way to change the FQDN in 5.5 running on NT4? The reason is the company who setup the Exchange server before I got here gave it the name NT_SERVER. So the SMTP header reports the FQDN as NT_SERVER.DOMAIN.COM. Some email is being rejected because of the underscore. I was told it could be done, but not how.

Delete and re-create the internet mail service (connector). This will give you the opportunity to enter any domain name you want.

Did the above suggestion really work? I have the same problem. I reviewed the internet connection wizard and am unsure if it can be done.

I am looking at either:
1. completely renaming and reloading the server.
2. routing internet e-mail through a connector on a correctly named server.

It should work just fine. My situation actually changed a bit. I had corrected the Host name, but had not gotten around to recreating the Internet Mail Connector.

A few Fridays ago, my server took a dive. It locked up and upon rebooting, would lockup withing 30 seconds. At one point in troubleshooting, I deleted my network cards. After reinstalling them, the Exchange problem was gone. It was now showing the correct Host name even though I did nothing in Exchange.

Very strange. So it is possible you may be able to delete and reinstall the NIC. Warning though, you may have residual problem by doing this. My WINS was very messed up. Along with the Security Associations with my BDCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back