Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable Netware login at boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLWilts

Programmer
Feb 12, 2001
GB
Hi,
i have found a few posts on this subject, but none too helpful. I login to Windows domain, and then it asks me for a Netware login info. I only use Netware at remote sites, and we do not even have a Netware server at this one, so I want to disable this login completely. It will be no good setting a default username and password (as I have seen in other posts) because Windows will look for the Netware server, fail and then ask me for a password which I will just press ESC from. This makes my PC take aboiut 5 minutes to boot!!
Please, I just want this screen to go away, but still have the option to login to Novell from the sys tray icon.
Any advice gratefully received.

What is your primary login set to in the properties of Network Neighborhood?

jscottd,
Primary login is "Client for Microsoft Networking" and set to login to a domain. I even changed a registry setting to make Domain signon first - problem is that it still comes up after the domain login.
franklin97355 - thought about that, but need it for when I am on a remote site for certain programming maintenance, so I want to be able to log on by clicking the N in the systemn tray

thanks for your comments chaps - keep them coming

Tony,
I could be wrong, but the way 2000 integrates client logins at startup makes me think you will not be able to do this without bypassing the Novell login each time.
Also, I've used 2000 running just NT, and don't think Novell adds appreciably to the bootup time. It just takes long to bootup, period.
Good luck, though.

Check the following registry value:

KEY: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

NAME: GinaDLL

Change from NWGINA.DLL to MSGINA.DLL if necessary.

Then add the follwing string value to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Novell\Network Provider\Initial Login

NAME: Login When NWGina Not Loaded
VALUE: no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back