Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable Internet Options via registry key

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpandexBobcat

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
GB
Hi gang,

I am trying to disable IE6/SP4 'Internet Options' in 'Tools' via the registry. I have tried adding registry entry 'NoBrowserOptions' (HKEY_Current_User) without success.

Is there a new or different entry for IE6/SP4?

All suggestions greatly accepted...

Simon.

You can either set it for each user, or all users.

User Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Restrictions

System Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disable restriction, 1 = enable restriction)

Create a new DWORD value based on the options below, and set the new value to "1" to enable the restriction or "0" to disable the restriction.

AlwaysPromptWhenDownload - Always prompt user when downloading files.
NoBrowserBars - Disable changes to browsers bars.
NoBrowserClose - Disable the option of closing Internet Explorer.
NoBrowserContextMenu - Disable right-click context menu.
NoBrowserOptions - Disable the Tools > Internet Options menu.
NoBrowserSaveAs - Disable the ability to Save As.
NoFavorites - Disable the Favorites.
NoFileNew - Disable the File > New command.
NoFileOpen - Disable the File > Open command.
NoFindFiles - Disable the Find Files command.
NoNavButtons - Disables the Forward and Back navigation buttons
NoOpeninNewWnd - Disable Open in New Window option.
NoPrinting - Remove Print and Print Preview from the File menu.
NoSelectDownloadDir - Disable the option of selecting a download directory.
NoTheaterMode - Disable the Full Screen view option.
NoViewSource - Disable the ability to view the page source HTML.
RestGoMenu - Remove Mail and News menu item.
Restart Internet Explorer for the restrictions to take effect.

bcastner,
Where can I find more info on this? I want to restrict my users from downloading things from the internet. We are having these issues which are causeing viruses on our systems. Luckily or AV has been working. I have disable IE on some systems. However, some do need to use the internet for legit work needs. I just don't want them on certain sites or downloading anything. I run a domain and do not use local accounts and set them up as users; but this still allows them to download programs and games. Any info would be great.

Rich

Thanks Bcastner,

It does work but we have an anomaly here, some of our PC's have the 'Microsoft/Internet Explorer...' others don't, irrispective of the user logged on. Have you got any answers to why this could be? Any ways round it (apart from the obvious flattening) It means that I can only impendent this restrictions on some machines and not others...

The key is either USER specific, or machine specific.

Add the values needed in System Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

All you need to do is go to a machine that has it and make the changes you want. Then Export the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions key to a .reg file from the registry. Put it on a floppy and go to each machine a double click on the .reg file. Problem solved.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back