Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable Internet Access in Windows2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwalz

Programmer
Oct 31, 2000
US
How do I disable internet access for a user's account? I can't find a setting to do it anywhere?
Thanks,
Janet

You could just set aside a DHCP lease reservation for this user, and leave the DNS and GW empty, and that should effectively cut off access to the user provided you are using DHCP. If not just change her static IP info to include no DNS or GW. Good Luck...

Jeff

MCSE,CCNA,ASE

Or you can add a proxy to an address that is not a proxy through Group Policy and also make a policy so Users cannot change the settings...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Please forgive my ignorance, but how do I go about adding a proxy to an address using group policy? I understand the concept of using proxy, but not the mechanics. Also I think this would be a better solution because the block would follow the user's login, regardless of physical computer.
Thanks,
Janet

Janet,

Open up the Group Policy snap-in (right-click the OU-> properties-> Group Policy). Navigate to User Configuration-> Windows Settings-> Internet Explorer Maintenance-> Connection-> Proxy Settings. Designate your proxy address here. Then navigate to User Config-> Admin Templates-> Windows Components-> Internet Explorer and enable the Disable changing proxy settings...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back