Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable Incomming (Inbound) Internet email for some users

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaYHeM24

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2002
US
I have approx. 15 users that are allowed to have inter-office email but we do not want them to be able to send or receive outside internet email. I have modified the registry and added the users to the SMTP Delivery Restrictions - Reject Messages from Tab. This has stopped outbound email to the internet and allows inside email to function properly. I now need a way to stop inbound email from the interent to these specific users. Any help on bouncing theses emails would be great! TIA!!

[peace]

-=MaYHeM=-
-=IS MGR=-

Change their SMTP e-mail address to user@yourcompany.local instead of .net .com etc.

Just REMOVE their SMTP entries, that is simpler.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

In Exchange, you cannot remove a recipient's primary SMTP e-mail address. You have to rename the account.

Oops, how true, I must have been asleep when posting that!

In renaming the smtp address, they will still receive internal email in Exchange 2000?

-=MaYHeM=-
-=IS MGR=-

of course
internal mail is not SMTP

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Depending on the Firewall that you are using you could have simply denied any mail addressed to the users from entering, if our course your exchange server is behind your Firewall

Now why on earth would you filter email with a firewall?
That is not the purpose of a firewall at all.

Here is an examply why, we have an exchange server behind our Firewall. Our Firewall is setup to forward email addressed to our domain to our Exchange server. Our ISP does no filtering for us because they are not hosting our Email. Recently we were bambarded with emails addressed to us with every name in the the book and our domain name behind it. Because our Firewall was setup to allow email to (*@1234.ca) all emails were being forwarded to our exchange server and our exchange server was being overloaded rejecting the messages.

We only have about 80 users on our network so we explicidly entered them in the Allow To box on our Firewall instead of (*@1234.ca) we put the users email address (johdoe@1234.ca) therefore only messages addresses to legitimate users on our network were being forwarded to our Exchange server. This reduced the load on our Exchange server. Our Firewall performance didn't change at all and we resolved the problem with hundreads of bogus emails being forwarded to our Exchange Server. Also, because our exchange server was being overloaded with replying to bogus emails, some legitimate emails were being dropped. Filtering on the Firewall corrected that problem.

That is a nice way, but you can achieve the same on Exchange as well.
Besides, and it may not affect you, but most of my customers have on a daily basis a problem with customers typing a name wrong. If I would filter on existing only, they would loose business.
So, your solution is very 'clean' and strict, but it cannot always be applied.

Marc
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back