Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable IE (for reghakr)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdf098

Programmer
Aug 13, 2001
SG
I want to disable or enable the users from using IE through a program. I would like to know what registry entries should i manipulate to achive this.

asdf098,

I need a little better explanation to:
=================================
from using IE through a program
=================================

What program?
When they click on a link?
Do you want to TOTALLY disable it, or just some of it's features?

You could (crudely) rename iexplor.exe to iexplore.ex_
Or set up a fake (dummy) proxy.

reghakr

I have to allow only authenticated users to use net on my system. So before using the IE he has to enter some password.. Only then IE gets enabled.. or else he should not be able to open the IE.. I think changing name wont solve this purpose as it is easy to locate the file in windows.. or copy a new executable from a system on netwark.. i want to change the registry values so that he cant be able to manipulate the things.. i think you are clear on the application now..

If you're talking a win9x system, you'll most likely need 3rd party software. There is no registry entry that allows or disallows a password. Here's one possibility:

Restricting Applications Users Can Run (All Versions)
Category: Security
Windows gives the ability to restrict the applications that can be run by users on a workstation.

Open your registry and find the key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

Create a new DWORD value and name it 'RestrictRun' set the value to equal '1' for enabled or '0' for disabled.

Then define the applications the are allowed to be run at the key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\RestrictRun].

Creating a new string value for each application, named as consecutive numbers.

Reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.

Caution: If you are the person who applies Group Policy, do not apply this policy to yourself. If applied too broadly, this policy can prevent administrators from running Group Policy or the registry editors. As a result, once applied, you cannot change this policy except by reinstalling Windows 2000.

Settings:
Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PoliciesExplorer]
Name: RestrictRun

===========================================================
IE Security allows you to disable almost any function in Internet Explorer.
The program lets you disable individual menu items, and prevent others from editing your favorites.

You can disable individual tabs in the Internet Options dialog box; modify the title caption, toolbar background, and animated icon; change all default folders; and replace the standard error information pages.

IE Security also includes multi-user support and password protection.

More information:
IE Security Home Page

reghakr

Thanks reghakr,

I saw your precious answer to lock ie..
Now i am
Enabling the proxy and setting the value to junk...(after toring actual details)..
After that i am disabling the permissions to change internet options..
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions\NoBrowserOptions to 1
so he cant change the proxy and as proxy is pointing to wrong server it is not working..this worked in NT environment.. i think it will work in 98 also...

Yea, it will definately work on Win98. That's where I do most of my testing.

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back