Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable folder access on Start menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techie64

Technical User
Mar 22, 2005
US
On XP Pro, if you click Start, and double-click any folder in the Start Menu, it will open a window of the folder. How can I disable this? There are files in the folders that I want users to access, but only by clicking Start --> Folder, and letting the folder expand to show the files.

Obviously this has to do with security permissions of the user to the folder, but instead of modifying the group policy, how can I do this through vbscript once the user logs in.

Assuming the user is called 'John', and the folder with permissions to be modified is called 'Reports' how can I modify the permissions of the Reports folder to Deny "List Folder Contents" through the script? Thanks.

If you deny the list folder contents they won't be able to see the icons.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

I understand this Mark, but this doesn't work. I need the John to be able to go to START --> Reports, and for the Reports folder to expand and show the files, but not allow him to double-click the folder and opwn a new window.

I'm trying to accomplish this after the user logs in, not through group policy.

I posted this question here because I'm interested in a script that will make those types of changes.

I've tried using xcacls.vbs:

but it seems Microsoft linked the permissions 'List Folder Contents' and 'Read Data' into the same function, so if I deny 'List Folder Contents', John won't be able to double-click the folder, but the folder won't expand in the Start Menu.

Any ideas?

This can not be accomplished as far as I know.

There is only one thing that might be of use to you and that is disabling right click capability but I am not 100% certain on that.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back