Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable drag-and-drop in Win Explorer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nQziteev

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2001
US
I need to disable drag-and-drop in Windows Explorer and in a SAVE or SAVE-AS dialog box. I hame some people that keep moving files accidentally when double clicking on files while the mouse is moving. I want to disable drag-and-drop completely so that they have to use CUT and PASTE to move files.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Peter

You may make the folders you want them protected from change as Read and Excute only ,, and don't make them have the ability to be changed !
Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

Neither of those ideas is any good. The KB article Blade mentioned only applies to the Task Scheduler, and managing folder rights would be a disaster area.

Here's a reg hack you can use -- beware, you lose basically ALL drag-n-drop functionality everywhere in windows.

Regedit to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop and change DragHeight and DragWidth to 5000 or so.

Reboot and you can't drag/drop anything anywhere.

----

This is compliments of some usenet post I found referring to Win98, but I tested and it works in 2K and XP. Search if you want the original rationale.

hehe... Okay, one other small (un-intended) by product of this is you lose the ability to drag and highligh text (like for copy and paste operations.)

So much for that idea -- tho I guess you could train your users to use Shift-ArrowKey instead!!

It's a very nice trick ,, I think You are a very very evil administartor :) Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back