Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable Control Panel on Clients?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olimits7

Technical User
Feb 17, 2003
US
Hello,

I'm running Windows 2000 Server, and I have about 20 clients in which I want to disable the Control Panel on. I created a new OU and named it "Disable Control Panel" added the users that I want to disable the control panel on. And created the Group Policy to Enable "Disable Control Panel." My question is when I log onto one of the client computers with one of the users in the OU "Disable Control Panel." The Control Panel is still visible and I can still enter it. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

P.S. Clients are all running Windows 2000 Professional.

Thank you,
Olimits7

did you use secrdit to refresh the policy?

cmd line-> secedit refreshpolicy [/enforce]

I am writing a tip for which will be published soon.

How to check the group policy settings and result

You can use gpresult.exe to display the resulting set of policies that were forced on the client for the specified user at logon.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

No I did not use secedit, but I'll try it out to see if it works. Do I have to run it on the clients or on the server? Which command should I use?

secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce

or

secedit /refreshpolicy user_policy /enforce

Thank You,
Olimits7

I tried running both of them, but when I go and log onto the client still no changes take place. Any ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back