Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable a Trace

Status
Not open for further replies.

metevil80

Programmer
Feb 9, 2011
US
It seems on the rebbot of a server a trace had started and the audittrace*.trc files generated brought the drive space down to 0KB and stopped the Server. I have tried taking the trace off with this code
SELECT * FROM ::fn_trace_getinfo(default) WHERE property = 2;

DECLARE @TraceID int
SET @TraceID = 1
EXEC sp_trace_setstatus @TraceID, 0
EXEC sp_trace_setstatus @TraceID, 2

And the message I get is that I need to use SP_CONFIGURE. SO I tried disabling the C2 audit mode with this code

EXEC sp_configure 'c2 audit mode', '0';

RECONFIGURE;
EXEC sp_configure;

And the run value for the C2 audit mode is still 1. I am hesitant to stop the SQL SERver service and start it with a start parameter of -f to get the C2 audit mode to stop. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

try this:

In SQL Server Management Studio
Right click your server, click properties
Click on the security tab (top left).
Check your "Enable C2 audit tracing" configuration value.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

The enable C2 audit tracing is currently unchecked. Truth be told I'm not exactly sure why the trace started, except for that we had to reboot the server after a Hotfix install. I do not want it to continue though.

Perhaps you could try enabling it and then disabling it?

You could also try executing the following TSQL code:

Code:
sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1
RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

sp_configure 'c2 audit mode', 0
RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Thanks for all your help George. It seems that after I had run

EXEC sp_configure 'c2 audit mode', '0';

RECONFIGURE;
EXEC sp_configure;

with no change on the run_value, I waited until after hours and just restarted the SQL Server services and everything took effect. So if in doubt, restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back