Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DirectX on xp64 with 32-bit processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediDan

Programmer
May 15, 2002
US
Ok... wasn't really sure where to post this.

I'm running Visual C# Express 2008 on a 32-bit processor (Core2Duo) but w/ Windows XP 64-bit since I have 4GB of RAM.

When I try to run a program that uses directX/3D, I get BadImageFormatExceptions. Is there any way to make directX compatible with this OS?

Do I even need XP 64-bit to take advantage of 4GB of RAM?

Thanks

The Core 2 Duo is actually a 64-bit processor - if it wasn't, you wouldn't be able to install the 64-bit edition of XP on it.

You do need a 64-bit OS if you want to take full advantage of 4GB RAM, but at home I have 32-bit XP on a 4GB machine and just over 3GB is usable. In my opinion the loss of <1GB RAM is preferable to the hassle of having to deal with 64-bit XP.

According to the Microsoft download page for DirectX 'Windows XP Professional x64 Edition' is one of the supported operating systems, so try downloading and installing the latest version.

Depending on what you're trying to do you may also need a graphics card (and the associated XP-64 drivers) that supports the DX features you want.

Regards

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back