Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Directory Services Restore Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

moller

MIS
May 23, 2003
HK
Hi there

Please help, I would like to test a disaster recovery plan on Windows 2000 Advance server. I had read from MS KB249694 "how to move a windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware" and
MS KB 263532 "How to perform a disaster recovery restoration of AD on a computer with a different hardware configuration"
and follow the steps but always fail to start the windows 2000 server after reboot.

firstly, I backup the system state from Primary Windows 2000 Advance server

then setup a new windows 2000 advance server on other network.

Boot the new server in Directory services restore mode
then start NTbackup

select restore tab and select restore system state (always overwrite)

After restoration then I reboot the server
It stops atWindows logo screen

It can boot in safe mode with the primary server password.

Should I do something after restore

Regards
Moller

I really wish we didn't have this article out there.

Rather than going through all of this and more than likely not have it work, why not take the server you are trying to restore to and make it a second domain controller?

When you have more than one DC on the domain, disaster recovery is 100 times easier.

Thanks your reply

I know Setup new DC to syn with the current DC then remove it from domain and keep it in safe place.

But my boss needs a disaster recovery plan. I should start to from a tape or CD which contain the lastest "System state data".

I Tried many times to recovery it. One of my friend works in HP he told me that system state data should install on same model machine. However,he advised me to setup windows 2000 again after restore the Sys state data without delete the system files (not repair ).

I'll try today... and tell you the result later.

They process to do this is very very lengthy - make sure you are at least doing the following (this would work under Arcserve 2000).

Before you do the restore boto into Directory Services Restore mode and uninstall the network card and display adapter - do not reboot when it asks you to and make sure that you install the C:drive first excluding NTDetect and ntldr, do not reboot, then restore System State. This should get the server to boot then the fun starts!

But it can be done......

Master of Disaster.....Recovery

"I really wish we didn't have this article out there."

We in the corporate sense?
We in the community sense?
We as in the royal we?

What's this we all about?

It works now, I can restore the System state to another machine.

network card and display adapter should be disable or uninstall.

Thanks a lot.

:)

Both network card and display adapter should be uninstalled as next time you reboot it will be with the old server files and the system will need to auto detect them.

Check the event logs for errors and stuff, you should have plenty. A good check to make sure that everything is OK is to try to add a new computer and user to AD.

In case anyone else is reading this and is using multiple domain controllers, you cannot do very much with your restored version until you either get all the DCs back up and running or remove them from AD

Master of Disaster.....Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back