Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Directory service mailbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CALMAC25

Technical User
Jun 24, 2003
GB
I have a problem with intersite directory replication. Going through the MS KB I have noticed that on our bridgehead server the Directory Service Mailbox has over 90000 items.
After reading the KB article 195918, it recommends that this value should be less that 1500.
In this KB it suggests that if you know the exchange service account user name and password that you can login to the Directory service mailbox and remote the messages from the inbox.

I have tried to connect to the directory service mailbox in this manor and it fails, as it interrogates the GAL for the mailbox. Also when you look specifically at the mailboxes on the bridgehead server, there is no directory service mailbox. But you can see Directory Service mailbox listed under “Private Information store” – “Mailbox resources”

All our servers are Exchange 5.5 with sp4.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Sounds like your Directory Service mailbox is hidden. In the Exchange Administrator - select "Hidden Recepients" from the view menu to show the hidden objects.

Thanks for the response, Have selected "view" "Hidden recipients" but "Directory services" does not appear in the "server recipients" list.
When looking at Directory services through Private Information Store / Mailbox Resources and viewing the "full mailbox directory name", Directory services has a CN= value of CONFIGURATION, all other normal recipients have CN=RECIPIENTS.

So, it appears to me that Directory services does not have a mailbox that I can connect to through an Outlook mail client!!
If you look up Microsoft's KB number 195918 it seems to indicate that login as "Directory service" is relatively simple
Any further suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back