Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

directory browse plus a little content?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LenLindquist

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2002
US
I am running IIS 5 and I'd like to have a small Intranet site that does basic directory browsing but will also allow for short introductory messages/explanations on various pages, too. These would be different messages depending on the directory being browsed.

I'd additionally like to be able to tell the people responsible for each of these directories that if they simply create a text file called "help.txt" or something, that it would display along with their directory.

Is there a way to do this other than through server-side scripting?

Thanks,
Len

HELP.JS
thisHelp=&quot;This is the text of my help file.<br />This is a new line.&quot;

INDEX.HTM
<html><body>
<script language=&quot;JavaScript&quot; type=&quot;text/javascript&quot; src=&quot;HELP.JS&quot;>
</script>
<script language=&quot;JavaScript&quot; type=&quot;text/javascript&quot;>
document.write(thisHelp)
</script>
</body></html> Clive

if you mean you want the default directory listing (the generic one that IIS makes when you enable directory browsing) AND your own content to display simultaneously, i don't think this is possible.

what i would do is use server-side script to list the directory contents plus my own content.

=========================================================
if (!succeed) try();
-jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back