Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Director 4.20.02 - Discovery process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiddy

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2001
US
Can director use a seed file to discover agents?

Kind of, there's two parts: On the Agent side, via the RSP file, you can add an entry for AddKnownServer with the IP address of the Director server. On the server side, you must enable the server to add unknown Agents that contact the server. The online help has all the details. If the Agents are not in the same subnet as the Director Server, you will need to configure Relay Agents to reach the remote Agents.

here is my problem and I am trying to figure out how to get my agents to comm with the director server. First, my boss changes the hostname of my director server, then he changes the ipaddress. When I installed all of the agents I used the unattended install with the RSP file with a entry of my director servers IPAddress. So now not only do my agents not know the new ip of the director server, nor do they know its ipaddress. To top everything off, the big guy then decided that version 4.11 was not good enough and version 4.2 was needed ASAP. Any ideas besides scraping the hole thing?

If you haven't done much configuration, I'd ecommend a fresh start with v4.20.2. It will save you any potential headaches from the upgrade.

Catorze,

Thanks 4 the input. That is would I did. It still leaves the problem of trying to discover all of the installed clients which are all on different subnets in different locations. I wish I could just feed in a text file populated with ipaddress that Director would then go discover instead of manually adding each individual machine. Any ideas?

Yes. Create a Relay Agent (citing the IP Address of a managed Agent system that is usually running) for each remote subnet under Discovery Preferences.

or under discovery preferences, setup a unicast range that covers the IP addresses in each subnet - therefore no broadcast or relay required.

alternatively, if your network config allows subnet directed broadcasts, you could just enter the subnets into the discovery preferences. I suspect that broadcasting to a subnet would offer a performance benefit compared to unicasting to a range of IPs.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back