Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Directives 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofladung

Technical User
Mar 21, 2005
DE
We have a server which hosts some virtual servers. This host is the backup server. Now I would like to skip a drive because I don't want to backup the data twice.
I use the saveset "All" on the backup server because I want to backup the system state, ASR etc. I created this directive:

<<F:\>>
skip: *.*
<< / >>
+compressasm: .

Unfortunately it doesn't work, and I don't know why ;o)

For Windows, you must use parenthesis, except for the root directory. The sequence within the directory will also matter.

In you case, i would define

<< / >>
+compressasm: .
<< "F:\" >>
+skip: .

However, i do not recommend the client site compression as it only makes sense on slow networks. Nobody uses this any more.

Hmm - I tried that without compression.

<< / >>
<< "F:\" >>
+skip: .

Result:

servername:F:\: No full backups of this saveset were found in the media database; performing a full backup.

Ok - it's the first time I backup this server, but I don't want to backup drive F:. Legato should ignore it ...

Why do you still keep the directive for root (<< / >>) if you don't state any directive at all?

you're right. I changed that, and now it works. Thanks again for your help :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back