Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Directions for Publishing to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

c1sissy

Technical User
Sep 23, 2002
US
Hi, I could use some directions for loading pages to a server.
I'm used to loading to a file manager and this is very confusing to me.

The books that I have on fp don't really give a deep explaination of how to do this.

thanks

You will need an ftp program to start.

Search google.com for "ftp tutorial". There are many many many tutorials, some better than others. This should suit you no matter what your level. DeZiner
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember that amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic

DiZinner:
With Front Page it should automatically publish.

What I dont understand is that I have posted pages, but how do I make them live? What did I do wrong?

If you upload to server,
Do you have to say do like this?

Is this what I did wrong?

I seriously would appreciat any help.

Also, if I have several asp pages in one folder that arent linked to each other due to them being practice pages, do I have to create a each one? ex:exercise1,asp203,etc....

I'm sorry that I didnt really explain this in detail in my first letter. I apologize for not being more detailed in what I was looking for in an explaination.

Front Page does "automatically" publish. You have to tell it to publish. All you need to do is click the Publish button. It'll ask you where the site is, and you type in the address (i.e., and then it'll prompt for the password. In 2002, you can even right click on an individual file and publish just that file.

Linda Adams
Linda Adams/Emory Hackman Official Web site Official web site for actor David Hedison:

thanks, however for some reason my pages aren't live? they are only sitting on the server unaccessable, what did I do wrong???

DeZinner;
There is a default html page. So, where do I go from here?

is this how it should be set up? Each one of the pages is a test asp page, so it isn't set up with links from one page to another. Each one is an individual page.

I'm used to the file editors, you just load the page and it is ready to go. I guess they spoil you dont they? lol

I apprecaite the help that you are giving to me. Very much!

Never publish to a FrontPage web using FTP or the server will no longer have the FrontPage extensions available on the site, they would have to be reinstalled by the provider. Of course I guess if you aren't using any of the FrontPage extensions then FTP would still work.

If you are using ASP then the Server will need to understand ASP ie Win2k Server or at least a unix server that has ChiliASP installed. Otherwise you can't do any ASP pages.

Tailgun:
The server is equiped for asp pages.

Also, am publishing from the publish feature in front page. Not ftp.

This is so confusing that i'm wondering if I'll ever grasp it! And in the long run I'm sure that it is one of those things that when I do get it I'll wonder why I didn't see it!
thanks.

Here's what I do.

Go to your main/home page on your server.

If your browser is IE, then you should have a button on your tool bar to edit. ( the FP Icon)If not go to file and choose to edit with FP. Either way, click on it. FP should start to open up. You should then be prompted for your user name and password. Enter them and the page should load up. Edit and just click the save icon. Go back to your browser and refresh and there you are!

Now, after you have accomplished this once you can simply start FP. Go to file/open. Then choose "My Network Places" You should see your URL sitting there. Once you have established your connection you can edit "live" on any page you wish! It really is very easy once you get the hang of it.

And pay heed to Tailgun's warning. NEVER use ftp to load your pages after that. It can corrupt the extensions. And if you have used it since the extensions have been installed you may need to get your hosting service to re-set them.

Jesse

Jesse:
Last night I went into front page and just played till I finally got it to work!

I dont think I'm using the ftp to publish. I'm using the publish from the file button. Also right click on the page and hit publish.

Anyhow there was one page that wasnt working and this morning I got it!!!!

I'm not sure what I was or was not doing correctly. I will keep in my memory about the ftp.

In fact I'm so new to the front page that I didn't know that it had ftp. Before front page I'd use the file manager and just upload the files.

the ftp, I would imagine that unless you hit something that says ftp that you aren't using this, correct?

I want to thank all of you for helping me. it was one of those things that just happened for me! I dont know what I did wrong in the first place, however I'm doing it correctly now!

God bless all of you for all the help that you have all been!

LOL, I just might be back because I'm upgrading to xp pro so that I have IIS, and I'm sure that the front page that comes on this will be a bit different from what I have right now. I just have to make sure that all is backed up in regards to all the templates etc that I have right now. thanks again.

Hey,

Just so you'll know. FTP is a stand alone program. One great one is WS_FTP Pro. It's a great file manager. But, don't use it with FP. Or any other ftp program for that matter. If you start with FP, use that.

So now you know.

Great that you are getting the hang of FP. It is a great program for making pages and publishing them to a server. It does have it's draw backs and that's what this forum is for. To learn.

Good luck and God's speed on your efforts!!

Jesse

Jessie and all,
thanks so much for the time that you spent helping me. Also for the information of ftp and front page. It is greatly apprecited!
God Bless all of you!

Okay, so you've solved it. But along I come a few weeks later with exactly the same problem and I'm none the wiser! I publish from FP 2000. I know what I publish is on the server (others can see it), but when I load it, I still get the old version. I suspect that it could be my browser (IE 6). I do delete all temporary files, but I still see the old version.

Anbody got any further ideas?

Thanks

Have you tried just hitting the refresh button on the browser. If you delete all the temp files while the browser is still open it probably doesn't delete the temps assoicated with what your currently viewing.

Anyway hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back