Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Directing the election of the Local Master Browser (Net-BIOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g33man

Programmer
Dec 22, 2006
CA
Hi,
There is no dedicated NetBIOS group on Tek-Tips, so I will try my question here (sorry).

On my home network, I have several machines, but no actual server. Occasionally, I have network problems which all suggest unstable Local Master Browser activities.

The box that stays on 24x7 is a Windows Vista Business machine. I would like to ensure it is the Local Master Browser at all times, however whenever a hiccup forces an election, it can be trumped by another device that may be connected (e.g. Win 7 laptop, or Linux device), and it loses the election. When an election occurs, each machine currently on the network presents a number, its "OS level", and the highest number wins. What I am trying to determine is if I can change this number on my Vista machine from its default (which I believe is 16).

The only recommendations I have found, are to disable the Browsing Service on all other systems that may be connected to my network. Seems a bit backwards and hard to consider.

Suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back