Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Direct X not recognizing Video Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

treestump

Technical User
Oct 26, 2001
CA
Hi
I am having a problem with DirectX in one of the computers. The computer is Dell Dimension 4100 833MHz system with 32MB Nvidia TNT2 M64 AGP Video Card running Windows 98 Second Edition.

Direct X is currently recognizing the card as only having 1.5 MB of Video Ram when I run Dxdiag.

When we try running a game on the system, we are receiving the following message:
"Hardware only Direct Draw is not possible. Driver does not recognize any hardware"

I have tried the following:
1. Removed and re-installed the video card.
2. Removed the display adapter driver from the system devices and then rebooted.
3. Downloaded and installed the latest driver from the NVidia site.
4. Upgraded to DirectX 8.1 (except that now it doesn't recognize any video ram)
5. When I run DXDiag and go to the Display Tab. There is a test for Direct Draw and 3D Acceleration. The tests always run ok but the 3D Acceleration AGP support boxes are greyed out and we cannot enable them. After the upgrading to DirectX 8.1, the Direct Draw, 3D Acceleration and AGP Support are all greyed out and no longer accessible.

Does anyone have an idea as how I can correct this problem? Dell Technical Support has no idea. I've thought about replacing the video card but I suspect that this is either a problem with DirectX or Windows 98 not recognizing the card properly.

I would appreciate all the help that I can get with this.
Thanks
Treestump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back