Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Direct inward dial

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjtucker

MIS
Feb 12, 2004
US
We have a remote site with not that much documentation for the phone system and I need to setup a phone with a direct inward dial number. Is there a way to look in the PBX and determine which DN's are internal extension and which ones can be dialed directly from the outside?

What number's can you dial direct. Look to see if any are available in
LD 20
REQ PRT
TYPE LUDN
CUST 0
DN ??? enter the 1st digit of the DID that you know

If you can identify any working DID, a call to the telco business office, asking "what our my DID ranges" is the only sure fire way

~

Your PBX will not give the DID range that you "own" for your location. That information will have to come from your local Telco.

Yes, I work for a telco and if the customer didn't write down their ranges then you should call and ask the telco, at least we keep a record VIA a living document anyway.

Here are a few things to consider. Do some research - don't post details, but do look for patterns...

What kind of phone switch?
What kind of phone?
Does the phone currently have an extension?

What is the main site number?
What number does the most important person have?
What number does a wall phone have?
Does the fax machine have a number in sequence with the main line, important person or wall phone?
Can you dial other "remote" sites by an extension?
If your site goes down, does the remote site loose their phone system?
Do you dial 9 to get an outside line or press a special button?
If you were to ask an employee, how do I call you from my cell phone, would they tell you:
a. "dial xxx-yyyy"
b. " dial xxx-yyyy and tell susan to call me"
c. "dial xxx-yyyy and press 1, then enter my four digit extension"
d. haha "Your not my type"

in some area's (mine) your did range is on your monthly bill. i wish nortel had an entry for that, but then it may not be kept current.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks, I called the telelphone provider and they gave me the range, i was just wondering is that info was available in the PBX software. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back