Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Direct Connect to 61C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intimidator50

Technical User
Mar 15, 2013
US
Hi All, does anyone out there have a Nortel Meridian 1 61 C PBX, I need to know how to hook up a direct connect, so I can talk to the PBX, using a computer or laptop, I have a laptop that has a 15 pin male connector on board, so I don't have to use a dial up modum to talk to the PBX, Please list directions step by step and list any parts I will need , any programing that will be required. Thanks in advance for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

If you want to connect up onto the command line for programming, then you really need to purchase a USB to 9 way Serial COMM port cable. You might however have IP access available onto the system.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Are you sure you don't have a 9 pin male on your laptop? Never seen a 15 pin on a laptop.

He might be referring to the 15-pin VGA connector...

firebird is right though - either get a USB to serial adapter and you'll be all set.

Jason
Network Engineer, Cisco, Nortel, ShoreTel

The VGA is female 15 pin on my laptop and he said he had a male 15 pin, looks like he disappeared though.

I could sit here and write a small book on how to connect to a 61C with a PC and do basic programming.

Your best bet? Call your local Nortel/Avaya vendor and have them show you how to connect and some basic programming steps. You sound like you're very new to this and you're better off having someone there who's experienced showing you how to do it. It's far from a plug and play system as you'll see as you're being led through it. Most companies elect to use a vendor to manage/maintain their PBX for a reason.

To start, you'll need a serial port on the PC (or a USB to serial adapter for most laptops made in the last 5-6 years)... the right cables and adapters - unless you're adept at making your own serial cables... terminal software (i.e., freeware such as PuTTY)... and the manuals that literally take up an entire shelf of a bookcase of how to program and maintain a Nortel phone system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back