Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Direct Cable Connection and the Internet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungry

Programmer
Jul 18, 1999
US
Greetings,<br><br>I have two computers running the same version of Windows 95, and connected via a parallel cable.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've been successful in getting Direct Cable Connection to transfer files between them.&nbsp;&nbsp;Here's my question:&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there any way, using Direct Cable Connection, to let the guest computer access the internet thru the host computer?&nbsp;&nbsp;In other words, the host would dial into my ISP and the guest would browse the 'Net as though it were dialed in itself.<br><br><i>Thanks,</i><br><br><i>Ben Logan</i>

There are a number of products that allow that sort of connection... but Wingate is the only one that comes to mind right now. It isn't always easy to configure but, if you didn't have any problems with the direct cable connection, Wingate will be a piece of cake. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= temporary Vorpalcom home page</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

I have seen an analogue router that has an ethernet hub with four ports that shares a modem in a computer magazine&nbsp;&nbsp;. but then you would have to buy network cards with twisted pair connections for cat 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back