Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dinerware vs. other POS solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitronUnit

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2003
To all who have F&B experience combined with POS technical aptitude — I'd like some feedback from all knowledgeable in both areas. My particular focus is on the pros and cons of Dinerware, particularly:

*reliability
*intuitiveness
*learning curve of end-users
*hardware compatibility (especially touchscreens)

As someone with an extensive restaurant and POS background, I could gather the best info from those who know both Aloha and Dinerware but I'd appreciate "straight-shooting" from anyone who believes that Dinerware is an up-and-comer. Thanks!

I dont know anything about Dinerware but I'd be happy to answer any questions on Aloha.

Thanks for the reply... it turns out that I do have one Q that's Aloha-specific: What does one do when a local reseller won't service an independent, one-unit restaurant that's in a protected territory? The problem is that one of my clients took over an existing F&B operation that included a complete Aloha setup, but it's running on v4.xx and I know from experience that Aloha has to issue upgrade codes to go to v5-anything (but after that no future codes would be needed, etc.). He's looking to switch to another package because the reseller won't get the codes for him without him agreeing to a service contract... all he needs are the codes since he already has the v5.xx bin files for the upgrade. In addition, Aloha/Ibertech won't work with him, insisting that he must go through a reseller to get the update codes.

The difference between the bin sets that he has is significant because there have been many major fixes and enhancements since the system was last updated three years ago. Any recommendations?

Verify with the local dealer that all he needs is to have the system upgraded and you are willing to pay the hourly charges for this. The jump from 4.x to the newest version is a big deal sometimes and the service contract might not be a bad idea because things will work a little different. And you will probably have alot of questions.
If you are comfortable enough with the software that you dont feel you need any help and they refuse to povide the upgrade then try complainingg to Aloha and telling them of your situation and see what they say. Also there will be a fee for the software. Sorry we cant help you because of the territory issues.

Dinerware is perhaps the best POS to hit the shelf in years. It uses no legacy technology and uses XML and SQL as core components, these are what Microsoft says to use to build upon for all new products. The software is designed so the end user can program it all by their selves and avoid these sticky issues like service contracts that are really annoying and over priced.

IF you use good hardware it is more dependable than any old software that uses JET/ACCESS 97 (yes that is 1997) as the database engine.

If you have to ask how to program most of it, then it is a bug. It really is that easy to use.

You don't have to run to the office machine to program a new item, or employee, run a report, change and incorrect punch in. This alone will save you thousands of hours over just a few years and thousands of foot steps. You didn't have anything else to do did you? Oh, you don't have to have a office machine either, maybe you don't have and office!

It works real time, so when you add and item it is instantly available. Don't lose more sales data!

Try this on ALOHA, add a beer, a server, clock the server in, ring up the beer pay for it and then clock out log in as a manager and run a report to show the sale. Do this without shutting down the system. You can't! With Dinerware it takes less than 2 minutes and you don't have to shut down POS.

The learning curve is small. For servers, 30 minutes. Managers maybe 2 hours. Just not much to tear up really. I built a pizza counter service menu in 2 hours. On a CASIO cash register the same took me 12 hours. I have programed registers/POS for 14 years now. I have hundreds of store openings under the belt. You can tell by the gray hair and wrinkles. :)

The bad thing about Dinerware is you must use 1024 x 768 screen resolution. So most of the 12" LCD All-in-one units won't cut it. But they are mostly Celeron 1Ghz or less processors. Do you really want a unit with this old technology? Several newer units are out with what you need, but make sure you have true 1024 x 768 resolution.

I looked high and low at a ton of POS prior to going with Dineware to take to market. Most used 10 year old technology and/or had so many options and were so hard to set up that I could not see the benifit.

Setup is so easy with Dinerware it can be done over the phone with a novice on the other end. Fast and easy that is what I wanted. That is what Dinerware is.

Find a local reseller or one near you and get a demo copy. I bet you can do your own menu with out much if any assistance. Try that with the others...

Microsoft MCP
Dinerware Certified Reseller
14 year industry vetran

I have evaluated Dinerware as an addition to our product line, and agree with trvlace with reservation.

It certainly is the simplest system to set up, and the technology is as solid as one can get in windows.

my reservation: the simplicity's cost is a lack of options, this is not necessarily bad, however, you must be very diligent in defining what you need the system to do (especially how you enter and process orders).

If it fits after this, I would not hesitate to recommend it.

good luck

I would say about 80% of all restaurants/pubs needs are met with Dinerware. The remaining ones are large chain stores, fast food drive thrus, etc. that require industry specific process functions. Some of the 80% may desire full blown inventory, labor scheduler, etc, but can be run with Dinerware as it is out of the box. The reason larger chains can use the other more complicated systems is they have the support staff at corporate office to do the behind the scene work require to use that type system. For most operations for example, setting up real inventory can take the better part of 3 months and then another 3 months to tweak it. Plus it requires someone to use it which is just more time spent that small operators already don't have.

Get simple, Get Dinerware.

trvl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back