Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimesional Metric Issue (not grouping in SQL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesyman5k

Programmer
Oct 19, 2007
US
I have two Attributes Parent and Child (Parent has many Children)
I have a metric called COST which is defined as max(Cost) at the Child level
I have another metric called visits which is a count of records the a Child has in the visits table.
Lastly I have a compound metric called REV which is (COST*Visits)/1000

My problem is, if I have a report with Parent only, the MAX(Cost) of all of the Children is used in the calculation, not what I need to happen.

I need for MSTR to first calculate the REV at the Child Level, and then sum up to Parent.

I thought if I made Cost and Visits dimensional metrics at the Child Level, then I would get the results that I was looking for, but it’s not working.

Here is the raw data sample
parent child visits cost
1 A 2 1000
1 B 2 100

Here is what a report looks like with Child in the results (this is correct!)

Parent Child Visits REV
1 A 2 2.00
1 B 2 .20

When I remove Child from the report this is what I am getting (this is Incorrect!)

Parent Visits REV
1 4 4.00

Here is what I need for the report result.

Parent Visits REV
1 4 2.20

Sorry. The sample data isn't lined up to well.

I know if we had OLAP Services, I could simply add Child to the report but not display it in the report, but we don't have OLAP services.

So, am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance,

Have you tried creating a base formula and then using that in your calculation? Make the base formula Visits * Cost and then use that in your calculation (Base Formula/1000).

That should work I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back