Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Digital Surveillance Camera over the net

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hello,

I have a client that wants to update their surveillance system. They currently have regular black and white surveillance cameras that are connected to a multiplexer and a VCR. My client asked me if I can find some kind of surveillance system that can be connected to a PC. Then from the internet, he wants to be able to view the images so I guess the pc will be a host of some sort. I would like to know the names of products that can convert the signals of the existant cameras and make them available on the net. Replacing all the cameras is also another possibility. How strong does the computer have to be and how much bandwidth will be used... I know of a place that is currently having a similar system installed but I haven't been able to find out the contractor that is doing it. All I know is that they installed a couple of digital cameras from Panasonic (that's what the manager of the store told me) and a P4 computer, that's it, they haven't installed the rest of the equipment yet.

Thanks
bootleg

a simple and cheap way of doing that would be to set up the cameras to connect to your video input on your video card (you would want to upgrade to a better card). then from there you could display all the cameras on the screen. simple enough so far, right? then you could use a program like pcAnywhere or VNC to connect remotely to that computer and those programs are very easy to use.

as far as software for displaying the cameras on the "host" pc?... when upgrading video cards you'll find that alot of them have software for just that!

hope it helps!

p.s. you would also want to make sure they have a broadband connection because you're talking streaming video. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Hello,

I'm located in Montreal, Quebec (in Canada). I would have to experiment a little with a video card/camera/vnc but it only solves partially the problem. Since the surveillance system will have up to 8 cameras or so, there's no way to select the physical camera view from VNC because the video card will only have one input. Now in the office, we can select the different camera's by pressing on the button on the sequencer/switcher. I think my local ADI supplier should have a similar system. I'm going through their online catalog now but the descriptions for the products aren't very detailed. Better than nothing ! When I was asking for the software, I know locally there's no problem, but I was hoping for a software a bit like a streaming video, you just logon (through a URL) and view instantly with pretty good resolution and speed. The company currently has Adsl, the u/l sucks but they can probably upgrade to a faster u/l speed.

thanks
bootleg

ADI has a systems design place in california. You should get the number from your ADI branch, call these folks and explain what you want to do. They have design folks who can put together what you want and fax you a quote.

Good Luck! It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

I really like the D4 boxes from Dedicated Micro - - Takes existing cameras, stored digitally onto an internal disk, and plugs into a network and is accessible over IP. We're running a 4 channel unit here and haven't had any problems with it in the last year. Also it only records when there's motion so you don't have to review hours of nothing from the middle of the night!

Thanks everyone, I'll check it out.

bootleg

Hi Bootleg,
I'm in Montreal too.
I would suggest using a sequencer that can have an external control, then hook the control to the computer... that way you could have a small software that would change the cam from the computer (pcanywhere, vnc).
Of course, more expensive solutions are available., there are cams that can now be linked directly to a network, that don't even need a computer, and can be tilted both ways remotely !

Thanks MontrealSoft, i'll search for similar products.

Bootleg

We have moved from hardwired vcr security camera system to using AXIS 2200 camera's and Milestone security software. a 5 camera system running on a decent spec pc with 80Gig HDD lasts about 3 months with out removing any old data. the camera sends a very thin stream of data across our network and we have not noticed any performance issues

we have found Milestone software a very good recording package.

We have a product that would do excactly what you want. E-mail me jeffbouldin@netscape.net.

We have recently installed a 14 camera system, with a package from Chubb Security. I am very pleased with the result, and the remote viewer software that came with the package. Feel free to email me if you need more details. The PC is a high end unit, and the four video cards have 4 inputs on each card. Video is recorded to hard drive, with motion sensing recording, if desired. We just record everything, and are able to record 3 days worth before it overwrites.
Norm

Hi,

Where I work (a security firm) there have been a few installations of Hard Disk Recorders for use with cameras over the internet. W've used Digital Micro and Sprite recorders, which come with the sorftware for remote access.

56k and ISDN are all we've had a chance to work on as yet, the 56k was naturally a poor performer but the ISDN wasn't bad.

There are a wide range of good hard drive recorders out now starting at reasonable prices, that might be what you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back