Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Digital Polycom phones - worth it? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

elturko

Technical User
Feb 23, 2003
US
We're going to be adding Polycom conference phones to each of our conference rooms soon. Looking at our options, we can get the analog model or digital model (made for the Meridian). We have plenty of digital ports, and a few analog ports, but would be willing to add another analog port card.

Has anyone had experience with the digital version (that mimics the 2616 in programming)? If so, is it worth the extra $$ compared to the analog? Any cool benefits or strange quirks to the digital ones?

Appreciate your input!

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,
I would say it is better to go with the Digital Polycoms. You can get better features when programming compared to the regular analog Polycoms. The biggest problem that I have is user's think they are analog phones and will unplug them and move them to a analog port. This ends up destroying the phone. I had to start velcroing them to the conference tables to stop the users from moving them as much.

If you go with the digital polycom, you must take LD 30 out of the DROL in LD 17. Otherwise the digital TN the polycom is on will disable itself.

I have spent the last 2 days tryig to get the 550d to work on my 11c. At this point, I would not even play with the digital and stay with the analog Polycom. Sometimes it pays to stay with what works. (BTW, I have tried numerous configurations 2616, 3902, etc... nothing seems to work) Polycom and my vendor are of no use either.

Phoneguy666,

Here's a printout of one that worked on a different post. The only problem he mentioned was that each day it would be disabled due to LD 30. Compare and see if you see any differences in your set up verses his.

TYPE 2616
CDEN 8D
CUST 0
AOM 1
FDN
TGAR 1
LDN NO
NCOS 2
RNPG 1
SCI 0
SSU 0001
LNRS 16
XLST
SFLT NO
CAC_MFC 0
CLS TLD FBA WTA LPR PUA MTD FND HTA ADD HFA
MWD LMPN RMMD AAD IMD XHD IRD NID OLD VCE DRG1
POD DSX VMD CMSD CCSD SWD LNA CNDA
CFTD SFD DDV CNID CDCA MSID DAPA BFED RCBD
ICDD CDMD LLCN MCTD CLBD AUTU
GPUD DPUA DNDA CFXD ARHD CLTD ASCD
CPFA CPTA ABDD DELD CFHD FICD NAID BUZZ
UDI RCC HBTD AHA DDGA NAMA PRSD NRWD NRCD NROD
USRD ULAD RTDD RBDD RBHD OCBD FLXD FTTC MCBN
CPND_LANG ROM
HUNT 7000
LHK 3
PLEV 02
AST
IAPG 0
AACS NO
ITNA NO
DGRP
DNDR 0
KEY 00 SCR 5701 0 MARP
CPND
NAME
XPLN 24
DISPLAY_FMT FIRST,LAST

When programming as a 2616 you can program key 3 for conference and key 6 as transfer.

I did the 'ol stare and compare and cannot find a difference other then a couple of "CLS" items of no importance. I am starting to believe that it could very well be the power supply unit. When I unplug the power supply, the pass-through port starts to work for my digital phone (a M3903). When the replacement gets here maybe I'll change my position on analog/digital

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Good to know some of this stuff.

Phoneguy: look forward to hearing if the power supply fixes the problem.

Thanks again!

Matt

It looks like it was the power supply that was bad. My other two sites received their units and they worked fine. I am not sure if the quality is any better, but as stated in previous replies, you can do some programming for added features. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back