Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Digital or ISDN???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwmueller

Technical User
Jan 16, 2001
Hi

I have recently had a telephone line and digital tv installed (by ntl in the UK) and am confused by one issue. The company speaks of digital tv and thus that the telephone line also is digital. They claim however that it isn't ISDN. Is this possible? My modem is analogue and doesnt support ISDN. Can a phone line by digital but not ISDN? Would it damage my modem?

Thanks

Hans

I would have thought the telephone line is either DIGITAL or ANALOGUE. If it's digital then you would have expected it to be served by the ISDN system (Integrated Systems Digital Network).

One way to establish what you've got is to look at the telephone socket the engineer has left for you. If it's an RJ-45 (8-pin) connector, then it's digital, and if it's the conventional BT type LJU socket, then it's analogue. I suspect you've got an analogue phone/modem connection. Also, how much are they charging for the use of the phone? If it's free, then I doubt it's digital...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back