Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

digital decoder box replacement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

drashish

Technical User
Feb 28, 2002
US
Hello,
I am upgrading to a digital cable tv service. They want to charge me 10 per month for every TV (for the digital decoder box) ontop of their regular cable costs. Does anyone know how I can buy my own or build my own without having to be ripped off by the cable tv company.

Call your cable company, and ask them if you can either purchase their unit or a 3rd party compatible unit.
I do not think that you will be able to make your own.

The digital tuners in most tvs only handles ATSC (over the air) digital broadcasts. You will need to look for one that does QAM tuning. Even then you would not be able to use things such as the program guide or get a lot of the pay channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) or payperviews. Unless you can find a tv that uses the cable cards and the cable company in your area has them it is the best you can do.

Building your own is a very complicated task and requires a lot of custum firmware from the cable companies.

Buying is often not allowed as the cable companies tend to shy away from that idea to prevent piracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back