Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Digital Audio Question (updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubieb

Technical User
Jul 2, 2006
Here's the situation. I've got the Logitech Z-5500 (5.1 digital speaker set). I want to hook it up to my big screen LCD TV.

The logitech receiver has several inputs, including:

Digital Coax
Digital Optical

My TV has several outputs, including:

'Digital Audio Output' <-- (this is what it's referred to in the manual)

My question to TekTips -- Can I connect the two, so the logitech plays sound from my TV? If so, what cord do I need to use?

I am very new to this, especially digital audio. I bought these as 'computer speakers' but since I got the big screen and no real home theater speaker system, I thought I'd try to connect these two.

Help is much appreciated, you guys are the best.
-Hubie the Nubie

hubiebrown,
You should be able to use the Coax for the TV and the Optical for DVD,XBOX PS2.

Is this the same setup you are trying with your other post that you have here at t-tips?

Didn't know you had the Logitech Z-5500 in the mix.

can someone link me to the coax cable I need? I've never done this, have no idea what cable this needs. same with optical if you dont mind. (i dont even know what coax means)

Coax is a cable in which one conductor is insulated with a dielectric material and then surrounded by the other conductor, usually referred to as the center conductor and shield. The shield is typically a serve, braid, or foil braid configuration. typical applications are video, RF, and microwave.

You want the RG-6. It is the black cable that you have connected to your TV though it comes in several different colors. Both cables can be found at Radio Shack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back