Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difficulties with installing an Ethernet Controller. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrytype

Programmer
Jun 1, 2011
ZA
Having installed a back-up PC I cannot get broadband to work on it.
Evidently I don’t have an Ethernet Controller installed on the second PC.
Both systems run on MS-XP Proff. with Service Pack 3 installed.

System 1 has Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Global Ethernet Controller installed under network adaptors in Device Manager.

System 2 Device manager shows only iBurst Terminal#4 installed under network adaptors in Device Manager.

Having located Iic51x86.Sys as being the relevant driver in C:\Windows\Sys32\Drivers on System 1 I did a copy/paste into System 2.
But that doesn’t work.
Probably because it has to be properly installed as a Network Adapter, by means unknown to me, to show up as such in the Device Manager.

Downloaded it from Atheros website expecting it to self-install or arrive with an installation procedure.

Having tried to install it I get exception “Atheros AR81 family not on system”.

Out of my depth.

If anyone has any suggestions thanks in advance.

Old Man Delphi

Did you get a CD of motherboard drivers with the computer? That would have the installation files you need to add the drivers into the system.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks for that very useful suggestion. Don't have he CD for the motherboard but I'll scout around. Might well find a driver on the CD for a different motherboard.

Old Man Delphi

And how do you know the adapter on the second PC is an Atheros? Is the second PC identical to the first one?

You can't just attempt to install any old ethernet driver you find.

You need to identify what ethernet controller is installed, and find a driver for it.

Do you have any yellow exclamation points in Hardware Manager on the second computer?

Can you identify the make and model of the Motherboard on the second computer?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Belarc Advisor will identify your motherboard.

Generally you can get to the motherboard manufacturer's website to download the drivers you need.

Your eth controller needs to be enabled in the BIOS.

I would normally exptect XP to figure it out for itself and possibly to have the drivers buried in the installation. Does it find the hardware when it boots up, message in the notifications area that it has found something.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back