Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

difficult to crteate a query very complicated 1

2009luca

Programmer
Jul 27, 2013
IT
this table contain a price list of room.
DAL and AL is the period (from>to) PREZZO is the price
Based myvarfrom="05/06/2024 and myvarto="15/06/2024" and myvaroom="SINGOLA" how to calculate the price of the living room

note:
Naturally myvarfrom and myvarto and myvaroom is dinamic

Attachments

• TEST.zip
    44.3 KB · Views: 6
Any example(s) of your attempt(s) to create this query?
Show your work.

Some questions first

1) What is your backend dbase server. I am assuming Access, but just want to check
2) Can a booking stretch across more than 1 price period. I am assuming yes, but again just want to check (since your example date do not)
3) Are the prices for a single room really the same with a mountain view as for a sea view? Or is that just your test data?
4) Are the booking periods all in the same year?

Last edited:
for strongm

You have understand my question!

Yes my database is Access

For now use only a STRUTTURA=MARE

Yes,

possible date from for example:

myvarfrom=07/06/2024 myvarto=14/11/2024

...yea, now i see your face:)

Last edited:
how to calculate the price of the living room
You calculate the price of any room by multiplying the length by the width by the cost per square foot.

So,whilst it is possible to do this in a relatively straightforward single query in SQL Server (due to additional features in Transact-SQL that Jet SQL does not have), it is somewhat more complex in Access .. and in fact it is easier take a slightly different approach, which is simply to iterate through each day of the booking and get that day's price and total it up.

e,.g

Rich (BB code):
' Using Microsoft DAO library rather ADO, as it is fractionally faster for this than ADO/ADODB against an MDB
Option Explicit

Public Sub Doit()
    Debug.Print BookingTotal("25/08/2024", "07/09/2024")
End Sub

Public Function BookingTotal(startdate As Date, enddate As Date) As Long
    Dim db As Database
    Dim rs As Recordset
    Dim lp As Date
    Dim SQL As String

Set db = DBEngine.OpenDatabase("d:\downloads\deleteme\test.mdb") ' replace with path to your database
    For lp = startdate To enddate
        SQL = "SELECT PREZZI.PREZZO, PREZZI.TIPO FROM PREZZI WHERE (cdate('" & lp & "') between CDate([DAL] & '/" & Year(startdate) & "') and CDate([AL] & '/" & Year(enddate) & "')) and PREZZI.TIPO='SINGOLA' AND PREZZI.STRUTTURA='MARE'"
        Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(SQL, dbOpenForwardOnly, dbReadOnly)
        BookingTotal = BookingTotal + rs("PREZZO").Value
    Next

End Function

Last edited:
strongm, work perfect...
But the user can see the price by date to date, and the related period example:

admit have "25/08/2024" to "07/09/2024"

price from 25/08/2024 to 31/08/2024 a price for SINGOLA
price from 01/09/2024 to 07/09/2024 a price for SINGOLA

possible?

note:
in this case the room is SINGOLA

So as ever you didn't provide all your requirements!

Possible? Absolutely

But I've not got the time to look at this to provide an example just at the moment.

Sorry strongm.
No prob for time.
Tks.

sal21 / 2009luca,

Based on the code strongm provided, you should be able to modify his code to get what you need.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back