Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

differnece between domain_name.local and domain_name.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyL

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2000
US
When installing Win2k server I have a choice in naming my domain DOMAIN_NAME.com or DOMAIN_NAME.local. What is the difference in the two. I am setting up a test server to study the system. I have an Internet domain name. Does that make a difference?

Thanks

if you own your domain.com name and it is not being used in production, you can use the real thing. thus you will be able to host mail records, ect and test email services, ect.
using the internet.

we build test labs with the .local quite often to test hardware configs and such, not needing internet access.

we also use use our .biz domain for testing a real network config with the internet. (we only use the .com domain name for production network)

scottie

It makes a difference in that .local is not accessible from the internet. It's a good practice to split your namespace- publically and privately. .local is one way of doing this.

Also, you W2k domain name doesn't have too much to do with the real outside world. You can call your domain yahoo.com and just create the correct A records to access anything out on the internet that you don't actually host.

/Siddharth

would like a bit of advise here.I'm a winNT 4.0 user and would like to upgrade to win2000. My domain name is currently Atlantic. When I updrade to win2000 will all users need to log on to Atlantic or Atlantic.com ? or Atlantic.local

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back