Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Differing security on FAT and THIN clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexxxy

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
AU
Hi guys,
We have a client who requires different security rights to be setup on their FAT and THIN clients. They are running Citrix and the job has been given to me to investegate. How can we go about doing this?

thanks

I should add, we need to configure different profiles.

What do you mean by different security rights..do you mean group policies..???

Please explain further...ie what your outcomes are..

N

It's not clear whether you mean access to the client or access from a particular client to the server, but I would assume the latter.

Microsoft Windows Server Operating System gives access rights on a per-user or per group basis, or on a local machine basis. While it is possible to determine the client type via a script, this is something you would need to develop yourself. You could then conditionally apply policies.

Most thin clients have a device login that can be effectively used in place of the Windows login - so users could log into the device with their own usernames and passwords, but the device would auto-login to the domain with pre-determined credentials. I'm not keen on the idea of saving domain credentials anywhere, so this is not something I would do.

It may suit your needs, but I'm curious as to why your client would want to do this in the first place.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Hi guys,
Your right I should have been a little more specific!

Basically we have some guys who have notebooks. We want them to be Administrators on their own desktop. But when they log onto terminal services they have a restricted desktop (no right click etc...)

Hope this makes a little more sense!

thanks for all your input!

Make your users local administrator for their laptop!

Cheers,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back