Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Differential Append and Overwrite logic - please check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

a4andrew

MIS
Feb 1, 2006
US
Differential backup media set - Monday through Thursday
Overwrite protection = 5 days
Append Period = 24 hours
Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available.

This is to say that the data written each day will be protected for 5 days, and appending to the tape can happen within 24 hours after the last differential backup job finished. Then the next week, the tapes become overwriteable. But is it only the session of the tape that was written 5 days past that becomes overwriteable, or the whole tape becomes overwriteable?

Also should I switch 24 hours to infinite append? These tapes will stay in the library indefinitely. In doing so, would it mean that I could potentially have backups from several weeks back should there be enough space on the tape and there's a full backup to refer to that dates back then?

Your help will be greatly appreciated as I've been wrestling with the logic.

The overwrite setting refers to the tape as a whole, not a session on the tape. (IIRC)

I use infinite append. I think infinite will work the way you want, as long as there is a full backup on that same tape to refer to.

I am not a Backup Master, ymmv. I'd like to see opinions from justin2000, steveot, and others as they obviously have much more experience than I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back