Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different retention on Full and Diff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosschops1

Technical User
Jul 29, 2008
GB
Hi Guys,
I have a subclient with 2 schedules assigned - A full backup on a friday and diffs mon-thur.
The storage policy has 3 copies (weekly/monthy/yearly) with different retention set on each copy.
For the diffs i only want one copy and that has different retention to the full backups. Can this be done?

Cheers

Yes, it's called an Incremental Storage Policy. Create a different Storage Policy with only one copy and different retention times. Select the option Use incremental Storage Policy and point it to this new Storage Policy. Non-full backups will then be "forwarded" to the new Storage Policy with a Retention time appropriate for the differential backups.
Btw, why making Differentials? That was a good habit in old times when people had only one standalone drive and no library, to prevent the necessity of manually changing tapes. I advise incrementals unless there is valid reason for differentials.

What happended to my schedule? I created a job from the CommCell Browser for a client - history and the calendar show these jobs executing as a part of My Schedules for (Servername). I need to modify the schedule and I cannot find in anywhere. Where did it go? I can right click every element of that hierarchy under that client (servername) and all schedule shows me anywhere is the Client Update jobs. I am using Galaxy Express by the way.

Thanks
SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back