Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different Releases Inter-operating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole

MIS
May 17, 2002
US
Hello.

I am currently running:

Domino 5.0.7
Notes 5.0.11 and 5.0.12

I am very new to Domino/Notes which is why I have not upgraded the server to the newest 5.0.x version yet.

I have some questions:

1) Can I use Notes 6.0.x with Domino 5.0.x without problems?

2) Is there anything I should be aware of when upgrading Domino from 5.0.7 to 5.0.12?

3) Is there anything I should be aware of when upgradeing Domino from 5.0.7 to 6.0.x?

Thanks in advance,

Ole

I am using Notes 6.01 with Domino 5.010 server with no problem, however I am using it simply for mail held on the server. You dont give any information about options that you are running. Are users running mobile accounts with local mail replicas etc for instance. Why do you want to upgrade to 5.012 instead of 6.01 (6.02 soon)clients?.

I suggest you read the red book as a start (13mb download as pdf). It has a compatability matrix for instance.

There is a basic rule of thumb that Lotus tries to hold itself to, which is that you can always run a Domino server that is one major release above the clients. In other words, a Domino 6x server can serve Notes 5x clients without problem.
Sometimes, you can use a client that is a version higher than the server (R5 client on an R4 server), but that is rarely recommended, and it should be firmly avoiding for developement purposes.

Thank you both MarkhP and pmonett.

I'm sorry I didn't specify further. We are currently ONLY using Notes/Domino for mails, so at this time we will NOT be doing any development on it.

I tried running with a 6.0 Notes client to Domino 5.0.7 yesterday, as it has the "OPEN" button on calendar popup reminders, where version 5.0.x does not. It looked like it worked ok, but I don't want to continue doing that if it could crash the server (???).

I now know that I can insert any newer Notes Client installation CD's onto PC's with existing Notes Clients, and it will upgrade them and keep all the necessary settings.

What I don't know yet, is if I can do the same on the Domino Server, or if I have to take special messurements. Also, the fact that I have GroupShield (virus protection) on there, will that make an upgrade of Domino more difficult?

Thanks again,

Ole

I don't know about third-party server apps, but I doubt that you'll crash the server with a client-side app.
You may not realize it, but the server is only serving the data in a mail environment. It is the client doing the work and running the code, on the client. So if you have a pop-up warning or something, do not worry about the server. It is not the server that generates the popup, it is the client.
To clarify your issue : you can upgrade the server without fearing the diversity of clients. A Domino 6 server can handle very well all sorts of clients from R4.5 to R6, even in a mix. That is because the Domino 6 server knows how to transmit code and data following the type of client that is connected.
So, as far as the server is concerned, do not worry.
For your anti-virus app, I am not in any position to say anything about it. I have heard the name, I have even worked in mixed environments with a server that it was installed on, but I am not an Administrator, so I do not really know anything about it.
I would caution you to contact your GroupShield helpdesk and ask them the question, though.

Pascal.

A reference to a recent upgrade issue with another AV product...

thread9-568318 pmonett suggested, check with manufacturer before attempting upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back