Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different login prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimktrains

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2007
US
We have a customer running Openserver 5.0.7 on an HP ML350 G6. We use a modem to connect to their system for support. Today, when connected, the login prompt didn't have the normal SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5 message and the login prompt was Login: not login: and when I entered the Password, it put * for the letters not just leaving it blank like it used to. The login failed even though I used the correct login and password. I had them try many things, rebooting, different modem, different phone line with no change. When they took the cable off the modem while I was connected, the prompts stopped. They plugged it back in and I got the prompts again. I disconnected from the modem and they disconnected the cable from the server side and the modem no longer answered which is what I would expect. They hooked it back up and rebooted (which they did once before) and now it works.

What could cause the different login prompt to display? I had them check the port and getty was the only thing running. It's not a problem now, but it bothers me that I don't know why. There is always the possibility that something wasn't connected correctly and they just didn't tell me, but I've known the person for close to 20 years and I don't think they would do that.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Jim

Based on the symptoms, I'd say they have (or had) another device answering that phone line. That normally results in garbage, but maybe not in this case. It could be almost anything (such as a monitored alarm system, PC-based application, etc.). I don't think the prompt came from the SCO system.

I could be wrong.

Any chance the modem itself was offering the prompt? Many have a remote-command option.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

I thought so too, until I had them unplug it from the server and it stopped answering. The modem won't answer if it is not attached to something. And while attached to the modem, I had them disconnect the cable from the modem and the prompts stopped, so it wasn't the modem. They also tried a different modem with the same results.

Motoslide is correct - that Login prompt did not come from SCO. The asterisks are a dead giveaway.

Something else is on that line and intercepting your modem.

My guess is the server modem is on a Digi Realport device.

If a Realport device loses it's automatic passthrough settings you see a Login prompt and the Digi echoes asterisks for the password input.

If that is not the case, then some other device is picking up the line before the SCO modem.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

While you are attached and getting the odd behavior, have somebody run the fuser command against the port to see which process is currently running. Maybe there is a "ppp" configuration involved? I haven't played with "ppp" since the old Altos days using SCO 4.2. Luckily, those brain cells have been recycled and I no longer remember what the login prompt might look like.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

getty was running on that port.

I just wanted to know if there was some possibility of something unix was doing other that the normal login. I too believe it was connected to something else. All I had to rely on was the customer's interpretation of what they were seeing.

So, what tty device is the modem port on? If not tty1A/a or tty2A/a then that serial port extender device may be at fault here.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

Sounds like the login you saw was not SCO, so it was either the modem login or the login for the port replicator its plugged into.

The setting were probably lost when some noise came down the modem line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back