Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different Files same Patch Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtoledo

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
Microsoft has recently re-released Security Patches 2 or more times with the same KB and MSxx-0xx number. These updates have been changed to include different file versions. This makes it difficult to spot check a machine to verify it has been patched. In our company we have a
large number of computers belonging to third parties that connect to the network. We have always validated them by checking their list of installed hotfixes. This will no longer work.

For example MS06-042 (KB918899) was released three times 8/8/06, 8/22/06, 9/12/06, with updated files. With different content. If one was going to check the registry or under Add/Remove programs it would appear as the patch was installed, but you wouldn't know what version
it was.

I realize WSUS, Automatic Updates, and other utilities will look at actual file versions to insure they are correct this makes life very difficult for administrators.

What is Microsoft's logic for changing files without issuing a new patch number? Are they just trying to keep the numbers down? If your fixing minor items in a patch (like detection method) which doesn't affect the outcome of the installed files I can see keeping the number the same, but once you change one file you change the entire patch.

Lets say we are having a problem with a few servers crashing and we are comparing updates on the servers, we look and all servers that have MS06-042 installed, but in reality they have different versions of patch.

I guess this is just another major MONKEY WRENCH in the Windows Update Saga.

if you go into add/remove programs and click on the update then click on the "Click here for support information" link and you will see a version number, mine says version 3 for KB918899 which coinsides with the 3 release you specified. not sure if there is an automated way of checking this but you can sure tell what patch is installed this way.

Hope this helps,

RoadKi11

Thanks for the tip. I was making more of a comment/point about the patch numbering system, instead of how to validate the installation of the patch. It just creates a administrative nightmare now to ask "Well which release of MS06-042 do you have installed."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back