Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different error messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

catdesign

Programmer
Jul 19, 2000
GB
When I used VB6 with DAO to talk to Access97 I was able to respond to 'Cant Update Record locked' messages by trapping error 3186
Now I am using ADO with Access2002 backend, 3186 is not trapped and the error comes up as -2147217887 but with the same error message "cant update, record is locked" (or very similar).

From looking at a Microsoft Information Sheet, it says that -2147217887 is "errors occurred".

Can I not trap specific Jet Locking Errors any more??

I should have looked more carefully before asking this question - sorry!

However I have now discovered the ADO error object and whilst NativeError and Number properties are strange, I notice that the SQLState property matches some of the Jet Errors I used to use. eg.

errorhandler:
Dim errado As ADODB.Error
Dim stree As String
For Each errado In mydb.Errors
stree = errado.SQLState
MsgBox stree
Next

This returns 3044 when I try to create a connection to non existant datasource (not a valid path)

I am worried by a statement in a Microsoft Press book which says that "Error handling with ADO is a difficult topic because some error messages are meaningless, confusing, or just plain wrong."

Could I assume that I might get 3186 for a locked record using the SQLstate property if I use a Jet4.0 datasource.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back