Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different Amounts Of Free Space And A Sloppy Floppy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnzee

Technical User
Mar 19, 2001
US
WINDOWS 98 SE

Got a couple of strange problems. On selecting MY COMPUTER>c:, Windows 98 SE reports different amounts of free space even if no changes have happened. If fact, if you close MY COMPUTER and then go in again, the amounts will differ. The figures varies between 21.6 MB and 653 KB!!

System Information does the same thing but figures are the same if you check using one then the other.

I use a small hard drive 250 MB primary solely to store Windows. My slave is a 1GB drive. As far as I can tell the numbers returned for the slave are correct and consistent.

If I delete anything off the primary, say temporary Internet files, not forgetting the RECYCLE BIN, I can, but not always, end up with less free space than when I first started!! How's that for Logic!!

I also have a floppy problem. Are the two connected? It is very hard to convince my system to tranfer data between the two mediums but no problems between the two hard drives.

When I try to copy a file to the floppy everything starts out ok but with 5 Seconds remaining a blue screen appears and tells me, WINDOWS IS HAVING TROUBLE ACCESSING A:\ AND SOME DATA MAY BE LOST. It then invites me to press any key to continue or ESC to escape. Pressing either results in Windows trying to complete the task. Sometimes it fails, sometimes it's successful. Similar things happen the other way round. Have installed a different floppy drive and have checked all my floppies. Also done Anti-virus Scans on a regular basis. The results are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back