Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Differences between Supervisor Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdragun

MIS
Jan 28, 2003
US
Can anyone tell me what the major differences between a Supervisor II-Plus and a Supervisor IV?

supposedly the IIPlus can't do BGP, EIGRP, OSPF etc.. things like that

But I have personally put in a IIPlus and utilized OSPF and EIGRP.. not sure why it works when its not supported..

cisco probably just doesn't want to officially support it..

BuckWeet

So you can do EIGRP, interesting. I am just asking because we are going to be upgrading to cisco switches and for the price its a lot cheaper to go with Sup II-Plus.

if you're really wanting to do routing protocols, i'd do the supIV, its faster, and if you have problems with the routing protocols, cisco will tell you to go fly a kite..

buckweet

Yeah they just won't support it if you have a problem , i have even gotten BGP to work on a II plus . If you look at the IOS images for standard versions they are exactly the same for a sup II plus as it is for a Sup 4 .

Well we are not that big to to BGP ourselves yet, but it is good to know. We will probably go with tht SupII-Plus for right now since it fits our budget. We can always buy the SupIV another time if we need it.

I appreciate all the feedback it has help me out a lot and has made my decision easier.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back