Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Differences Between Sub report and Drill down reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeertanaCR

Programmer
Oct 11, 2006
US
Hi All,

Could you please any one tell me the differces between Drill down report and Sub Repot in Crystal reports.

According to my understanding.

Drill Down:

We can convert a report based on grouping as a drill down report by hiding the details( If you have sub groups with in a group hide them too). It will make the report as drill down as the main report looks like summary repot and when we click on each group it will show the detailed information of that summary in another Tab). It can be drilled down through up to last sub group and the details available)

Sub Repot:

Whereas a sub report in some cases may look like a drill down report as the sub report may contain the detailed information of the main report summary. However as
a sub report can't contain another sub report we can not use sub reports concept to drill down( When we need drill down to more than one level) as a sub report can't contain another sub report.

Please do let me know whether my point on this subject matter is correct, if not what is the exact difference between sub repot and drill down report. Also are there any other differences between these two.

Thank you for your help
Keertana

drill-down is a matter of hierarchy. It follows the grouping levels. It can be done inside the main report as well as inside an On-Demand subreport.

Subreports are report objects within the main report. They are not limited to the main report grouping, data source, record selection, etc.

If you state a problem, it would be easier to offer a solution. If you are just interested in general knowledge, the online help for these aspects is quite good.

hth,
- Ido

view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

A subreport is an independent report that accesses the database independently. Or it can be used for a completely separate database. Used at detail level it is very inefficient, because there is a separate access for each occurrence. The limit of no subreports within subreports is arbitrary but may be sensible given that Crystal is used by people who are not trained programmers.

You can pass data to a subreport using Edit > Subreport Links. Pass it back using Shared Variables, though such data is only available in the next section.

Drill-down is completely different, an option for the main report to show extra details if you choose Hide. It related to what is shown after the report is run.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back