Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Differences between pervasive and microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveonion

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
Hi all we are currently looking at introducing a new software package which runs using pervasive, I was just wondering if somebody can enlighten me about pervasive SQL and what are its pros and cons and any background about it
etc
thanks
Dave

Dave,

Which software package are you looking at, just out of curiousity?

I have a MS powerpoint show that I am working on that addresses some of these issues, as Macola, the software I sell, runs on both Pervaisve and MS SQL Server platforms. If you shoot me off an email, I will email you my slide show on the subject.
Software Sales, Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Well, Our site has both Sql and Pervasive. One of the Pros of Pervasive, is relability. Our Data base has never lost or suffered from Corrupt Data because of the Database in 6 years. That also includes at least 2 Hard Power Downs on the Database Server(Long story). On the Sql end of things, we have a Max capacity of 6 people on the Sql Server for only Acccounting, its mucho slower and I have to repair mystery problems all the time. The Pervasive Server, runs about 50-60 people a live data ASP Web site, a live Satellite feed. And its very fast.

The biggest difference is $$$$. If SQL Server wasn't so expensive Pervasive would not exist. We have both here and SQL Server is more reliable and easier to use the Pervasive. I hate to say it cause MSFT is so evil, but that's the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back