Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Differences between BO v.5 & v.6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commandolomo

Technical User
Sep 3, 2004
GB
Does anyone know of the main differences between v.5 & v.6 of BO? Apart from the graphical display, is there any increased functionality at the report level?

Cheers in advance for any info

You can log on to the tech support site and download a document that tells you what's new in the release.

There are a few features on the client; most notably, integration with Excel

WebI is completely different. Too much to explain here.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

Actually there is so little changed it does not deserve the predicate version 6.

1. Save as Excel option (handy, but compromising :) )
2. Build query upon query (Nice asset)
3. Addition to source-types (XML?)

However, lots of things have stayed the same including the annoyances:

1. Nothing added to graph functionality, which is really down compared to what Excel can do
2. Still no (visual) distinction between local and universe variables
3. Various type of bugs still around, I keep losing page indication in the bottom when in page-view
4. Version 6 seems a bit more unstable than version 5
5. The graphical display is the same, apart from the screens you see when starting up.

Version 6 even manages to play silly. Save a document, switch a report tab , close BO and AGAIN it will ask whether you want to save !!!!!!

Version 6 does not work on Windows98, no support for ORACLE 7 (I know, very old but still in use) and not worth the upgrade in my opinion..........

Ties Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

V6.5 adds a bit more including horizontal bar charts.

Designer in 6.5 has a bunch of new stuff; more database tuning tricks, derived tables and others.

WebI 6.5 looks good, but it has not been made available to the general public yet. However, the tests I have seen are very promising.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

I'm on version 6.1a and have had so many problems with integrating with excel.... Problems with dates, problems with printing pages in excel from exported reports...

When will Business Objects release software that isn't full of bugs (sorry Bo I do actually like using your software but it's a bit annoying)???

Anyway, I don't think it's worth the upgrade either (at least not to version 6.1a), is version 6.5 any better steve?

6.1.3 and 6.5.1 are both MUCH better. I've seen the statistics on stability and bugs. It's just about where you'd want it to be.

6.1a (we're live on it now) is not a good release. 6.1b was a significant improvement. 6.1.3 is even better.

6.5 is loaded with performance, scalability and stability improvements. So far it looks very good.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

So ,when will we be able to do the upgrade to version 6.5?

version 6.1a is doing a good job in diminishing faith in BO at the moment with my firm............

Ties Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Guess we will have to wait a while for it is available on CD. Downloading the entire update at 1.5 k/s isn't worth the bother...

Ties Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back