Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference from CrystalReports

Status
Not open for further replies.

byk

Programmer
Jul 18, 2002
GB
Excuse me if you find this a dumb question.

Wanted to know if BO-XI and Crystal reports XI is THE SAME or is there some difference.

Crystal Reports is a tool for writing reports.

BO XI is a Business Intelligence tool where you can publish and manage multiple types of files, including Crystal Reports. There also are other ways of report from BO XI, including Web Intelligence and Desktop Intelligence reports.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Crystal is the tool BO pushes for creating pixel-perfect production reports.

Many BO customers have found this to be unnecessary.

BO Classic products are more geared for end-users.

A perfect shop has a mix of Crystal, BO Client and BO WebI. Many have some combination of 2 out of the 3. Most classic BO shops have only BO Client and BO WebI.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

Steve,

I have been asked by project leaders a couple of times this year whether a Crystal license would suffice for basic reporting. (As opposed to buying BO XI which is of course a premium and pricy buy)
I do not know the Crystal product. Is it all down to the presentation (layout) or does it amount to less functionality?

Ties Blom

If IT is going to build all the reports then Crystal is OK. It's not a complete solution for BI at all.

It's not as cheap as you think. If users are going to be refreshing, I still think you'll need the XI infrastructure.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back