Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

difference between Windows 3x, 95, 98, NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhag

Technical User
May 27, 2005
US
Hi
I want to know the difference between windows 3x, 95, 98 and NT with reference to Networking, upgrading or changing from 3x/95/98/NT. Can any one suggest a website where I can find the detailed answers please.
Thanks
Bhag

Matt
I could not go to this website. Could u please give the website address agian.
thanks

Bhang,

Simply put:
1.) Windows 3x, requires an update in order to use a 32-bit TCP/IP stack.

2.) Windows 95, has everything you need, but TCP/IP is limited as to how many adaptors you can bind it to.

3.) Windows 98/Me, NT 4.0, Win2k, and XP have everything you need, and don't have the binding limitations as with 95...

prescot9,

I thought Win98/98SE had the same limitation as Win95 in regards to TCP/IP, but I could be mistaken.

cdogg,

Nope. I believe 95a, tops out at 3 bindings. Under 98x, you can have an AOL adaptor, a Dial-Up Adaptor, a NIC, and even a couple of VPN Adaptors, (just as a for-instance), and TCP/IP will bind to them all, and WORK. You can have all these adaptors under 95, and bind them, but only 3 of them will work - the LAST 3 that get bound...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back