Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between SUN and MS SDK

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdance

Programmer
Apr 17, 2001
SE
I new to java and wonder what the difference is between SUNs java SDK and MS SDK?

Thanks / Henrik

A few differences off the top of my head

1. The MS JVM is windows only
2. It uses its own WFC classes which 'wrap' many windows functions such as registry access
3. Sun jdk 1.1 is supported, no Swing support
4. ActiveX is supported
5. Very importantly. MS no longer support J++!!

Hope this helps :)

Thanks, but what does it really mean when you say that MS doesn't support J++? What do you think will happen, and how does it affect us?

I'm new to java and would like to know :)

Thanks Henrik

As far as I am aware MS are no longer writing any updates/fixing bugs for J++. If you have a look at the J++ section at you will see that the technical articles there are a few years old now!!

I believe MS are trying to push the java extensions of .Net as the 'new' flavour J++.

Having said this the visual J++ IDE and form designer are very good. If you want a fast compiler, are not worried about portability , or using jdk 1.2 features then (i hate to say it)it's not at all bad.

Regards

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back