Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference Between "Desktop" and "regular" SS 3Com Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

250LWB

MIS
Jun 27, 2002
US
I just discovered a closet with 6 - 3Com SuperStack Desktop switches piled on a shelf. They all power up and appear to be working properly. I could use these to cover the expansion I'm experiencing in a couple of areas.

I've looked over the docs on 3Com's Web site and can't seem to determine what the difference is between their "desktop" SuperStack switch and a SS 1000 or 1100 (which is what I use throughout the system.) They all appear to have slots for expansion modules but no matrix ports. Not a big deal because I have fiber modules for all or I can expand via the MDIX port with a crossover cable anyway.

Does anyone know?

TIA,

D. Penoff
Technology Resource
Hillsborough County School District
Tampa, FL

Desktop switches only had memory for a limited number of mac addresses ( 400 max as I remember ). Otherwise not much difference

I would reccomend using the fiber connection to connect to your LAN and the MDIX port to connect another Desktop Switch. Due to the memory limitations they wiil not work well with a wireless network. Each port will only handle 2 MAC addresses. If you exceed 2 addresses these switches tend to lock up. Their other limitation is only 1 10/100 MDIX backbone port. For a small group of PC's or printers the Desktop will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back