Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

difference between powermart and powercenter 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

latheshn

Programmer
Oct 1, 2001
US
Can anybody provide detail
difference between powermart and powercenter

Hello latheshn,

Powermart can be viewed as the ETL tool to extract and transform data and populate individual (departemental) datamarts. It comes with standard one type license for the RDBMS you will be working with. Powercentre aims at being a data-integration platform for setting up corporate-wide datawarehouse, while using the Powermart utility for the ETL process. T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

As far as we have seen, there is actually very little difference to the "Informatica user". In fact changing between Powermart and Powercenter is simply changing a licence key.

The real difference comes with deployment. Powermart has some fairly serious limitations when it comes to number of CPUs and multiple server environments (it can't). I believe that Powercenter has some neat tricks around partitioning data loads across multiple servers to allow increased load speeds/volumes.

regards

Mark

Hi,

To add some more differences, In Powermart you cann't distribute the repository.In power center u can do that.
2. PM doesn't come vth full functionality. i.e you cannn't connect to ERP sources using power connect.
Hope this helps.
joe

HI,
The one difference i can think of w/ my experience is,
In power mart u donn have Router transformation to fork the data , which cming from one source to different targets,
In Powercenter Router transformation is available which makes ur job very easy.......
Hope i'm correct.......

No , that is not the case.

Router transformation exists in Powermart. But anyway there is no competion between Powermart and Powercenter in this respect. Powermart is the ETL-tool (TOOL) and Powercenter is the data-integration platform that uses Powermart as it's tool........... T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back